Answered By: Jeffrey Orrico Last Updated: Jan 24, 2019 Views: 125668
Use Microsoft Word's automatic Header and Page Number functions rather than inserting them into the text of your paper manually.
To create Flush Left first page running head and page number:
- On your title page, the Header is in the form "Running Head: SHORT TITLE OF PAPER". Click on the "Insert" tab in the ribbon at the top of the Word program, then choose the Header tool.
- Choose the "Blank" style from the drop-down menu.
- Check the box labeled "Different First Page."
- In the Header space, type your first page style header "Running Head: SHORT TITLE OF PAPER"
- Move cursor to the end of your title. Then, with the Design Tools displayed, click the "Insert Alignment Tab" and select the Alignment option "Right." Click OK.
- Click on the Quick Parts tool and click on Field in the menu.
- In the Field pop-up menu, scroll down to Page and click on that.
- In Field Properties: Format, choose the page number style [1, 2, 3, ...] and click OK.
To create Flush Left running head and page numbers the following pages:
- Scroll down to the second page to repeat process for the rest of your paper.
- Click in header area above line; if line is not visible, double-click in space at top of page to activate header space.
- Enter SHORT TITLE at left. While the Header area is active, mover your cursor to the end of your title. Then, with the Design Tools displayed, click "Insert Alignment Tab" and select the Alignment option "Right." Use Quick Parts tool to create page numbers (will automatically start at “2”).
To start page numbering after title page:
- In first page header area, delete page number; the second page will still be numbered "2".
- To start numbering on second page with number "1", click on the Insert tab, in the Headers & Footers group, click Page Number, and then click Format Page Numbers.
- In the Page Number Format pop-up box, choose "Start at 0" and click OK. You can also change the style of the page numbers from this menu.
See the attached file for screenshots of the process.
If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us at the reference desk!
For more information about formatting papers in APA style, consult the APA Manual. A copy is located behind the reference desk.
The preferred font in APA is Times New Roman with 12-pt font size. Double-space between all text lines of the paper/manuscript. Leave margins at least 1 inch all around and on each page. Do not justify lines.
The APA rules for "running heads" are on pages 229-230 of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (§8.03):
- a maximum of 50 characters, counting letters, punctuation, and spaces between words;
- flush left;
- all uppercase letters;
- at the top of the title page and all subsequent pages;
- do not use your name to identify each page
You can find the requirements for the Title and Byline in §§ 2.01 and 2.02 (pp. 22-23) of the APA manual. In general, the title should summarize the main idea of the paper and, if possible, with style. It should be a concise statement of the main topic.
The text formatting is detailed in §8.03; examples of a formatted manuscript are shown on pp. 41-59.
I've got the 1st page numbered as 0 and my Header is established. Now how do I get out of it to start typing my docement? Also the font and size keeps changing from Times Roman 12 . Please help.
It sounds like you are in the special "Headers & Footers" tool bar. Click on the big X at the right end of the tool bar to close it. Then you will be able to edit your primary text, print, etc., as a regular Word doc.
The typeface for headers, footers, footnotes, etc. it normally smaller than the one used in the main body of the paper.
You want the number to start at 1 on the second page, with no number on the first page. Click on the HELP ? symbol (top left of screen) and search "start page numbering on page 2". The Help window gives a good step-by-step for making this change.
Call the Reference Desk if you'd like more help (203-371-7726).
I have tried to number my research proprosal with different formats but I failed, what can I do?
Roman numerals & numberings
See second PowerPoint which shows the location of page number formatting tools.
How many times can I say "THANK YOU". One hundred times is not enough, THANK YOU. I have been wrestling with this for weeks and just could not get it right. Thank you.
This was incredibly useful even though I have the newest WORD version. You saved the day on my PhD dissertation. Love it! Love it!!! Keep up the good work.
Thanks for all you do and blessings always.
According to the APA Manual, 6th edition, the title page is page number 1. If you have the APA manual you can research this fact on page 229. The exact quote from the manual is "Identify the title page with the page number 1. The remaining pages should be numbered consecutively"
Hope this helps everyone.
I want to give different page formats but I could not?